Welcome to the fascinating world of family history research! You can learn more about you, your ancestors, and why you are the person you are today.
Here is a list of articles from my newsletter that I think are the most useful resources for anyone who is learning how to find their ancestors:
- Family History for Beginners
- Genealogy Basics
- Are You Missing Most of the Available Genealogy Information?
- GEDCOM Explained
- Ahnentafel Explained
- Second Cousins,” “Once Removed”, and More Explained
- Barking Up the Wrong Tree
- Citing Sources
- Using WorldCat to Find Genealogy Books
In addition, you need to become familiar with Cyndi’s List at http://www.cyndislist.com. Cyndi’s List has been a trusted genealogy research site for more than 18 years.Cyndi’s List is free for everyone to use and it is meant to be your starting point when researching online.
What exactly is Cyndi’s List?
- A categorized & cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet.
- A list of links that point you to genealogical research sites online.
- A free jumping-off point for you to use in your online research.
- A “card catalog” to the genealogical collection in the immense library that is the Internet.
- Your genealogical research portal onto the Internet.
Reprinted with permission from Eastman’s Online Genealogy Letter