Deprecated: Non-static method AriMambotHelper::processTagList() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/walterw8/public_html/plugins/content/aridatatables/aridatatables/kernel/Mambot/class.MambotBase.php on line 52

Deprecated: Non-static method AriMambotHelper::_currentCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/walterw8/public_html/plugins/content/aridatatables/aridatatables/kernel/Mambot/class.MambotHelper.php on line 36

Deprecated: Non-static method AriModuleHelper::getModuleById() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/walterw8/public_html/plugins/content/aridatatables/aridatatables/kernel/Plugin/class.ModuleLoaderContentPlugin.php on line 62

Deprecated: Non-static method AriMambotHelper::_currentCallback() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/walterw8/public_html/plugins/content/aridatatables/aridatatables/kernel/Mambot/class.MambotHelper.php on line 48

Greenwood Cemetery1

Other Names:  Was known as Orlando Cemetery until 1915
Owner:
Operator:
Property Address: 1603 Greenwood St, Orlando, FL 32801
Directions:
Size:
Coordinates: Latitude:, Longitude: -
Number of Named Graves (in survey):
Number of Unnamed Graves (in survey):
Oldest Date of Death on a Tombstone:
Original Information: Greenwood Cemetery is Orlando's largest and oldest cemetery. It is a municipal cemetery owned and operated by the City of Orlando. It was established in 1880. For burial records please see our selection of books on this cemetery available for sale.

1 This cemetery was not published in the 1980s survey but instead is contained in our Greenwood Cemetery Vols. 1 & 2 books for sale.

2014 Notes:

From CFGS Buried Treasures Quarterly Vol. 33, No. 1 Winter 2001

Greenwood Cemetery - Orlando's Cemetery

Greenwood Cemetery began in 1880 as a stock company called the Orlando Cemetery Company. Eight influential men of Central Florida decided that Orlando needed a community cemetery, formed the company and purchased 26 acres of land in southeast Orlando for a sum of $1800. These men were: W. R Anno, C. A Boone, James Delaney, James K. Duke, 1. H. Livingston, Nat Poyntz, Samuel Robinson and L P. Wescott. Prior to this, burials in the Orlando area were in family plots or in a few small cemeteries - the Powell Cemetery south of Orlando, the Beasley Cemetery (now Oak Hill) west of Orlando and an early downtown cemetery located at Church and Pine Streets downtown, in the area that is now Downtown Baptist Church.

Orlando Cemetery was laid out by Samuel Robinson & Otto Fries, 'with Robinson stating modestly "the cemetery's design was pronounced by experts to be one of the best original designs." The cemetery probably encompassed what are now sections A-J, with the original entrance on Gore Street on the south. Some bodies were moved from other cemeteries - particularly the downtown cemetery - and the Orlando Cemetery was in business. W. R. O'Neal wrote in a 1942 newspaper article that the owners of the cemetery turned it over to E. W. Richards, the undertaker, and basically forgot about it The property became overgrown with brush and weeds; soon a fire occurred which destroyed many of the original wooden markers. In 1892, the city of Orlando purchased the cemetery for a sum of $3000 and added more land. Elijah Hand was given a contract to bury paupers for $5 per interment, and a plot was laid out for Confederate Veterans.

The name of the cemetery was changed from Orlando Cemetery to Greenwood Cemetery in 1915 at the request of two of its founders, C. A. Boone and Samuel A Robinson. The city took over maintenance and created a beautiful setting. Since that time, there have been two additional purchases of land to expand the cemetery to 86 acres. Development has surrounded the cemetery, and there is no more room for expansion. Remaining sites are few, interments are limited to city residents, and plots can only be resold to the city.

There are a number of interesting gravesites in Greenwood. In section D, there is the grave of Fred Weeks who, according to local history, was scammed in a fraudulent land deal. He erected a large mausoleum, with the inscription "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho and fell among thieves" and listed the names of the men who had wronged him. The names were later obliterated [at the city lawyer's insistence] but the quote remains. The grave of Joe Tinker, who was a baseball Hall of Famer, is in section L. Sections A and B are the oldest sections and the names on the stones bear a striking resemblance to the street names of Orlando - Robinson, Gore, Anderson, Bumby, etc. There are sections set aside for Confederate veterans, Union veterans, Spanish-American War veterans, World War I & II veterans.

No exact total is known on interments since records and markers for the earliest interments have been lost or destroyed over time. The City of Orlando now maintains records for Greenwood; the director and staff of Greenwood have been extremely generous in allowing access to records.

A survey of Greenwood's stones was conducted by CFGS members about 1983 but was never published. [These webpages are the result of that survey.] Another survey was made of tombstones by Mary Jane Knisely for the DeSoto Chapter of the DAR in 1982 and was included in DAR Genealogical Records Committee reports. The current project* of CFGS is to conduct a complete survey, utilizing all the office records as well as tombstone information. This allows inclusion of those who bought lots and never used them and those who are buried there but have no stones as well as those who have stones. Office records are kept by lot number, so it is easy to locate all family members buried in the same plot. The office records also have information from undertakers as to the age at death and date of interment. The first volume of the Greenwood project is complete and includes sections A through J - including the Confederate and Union veteran's lots. Future issues of this quarterly will include abstracts of those records.

Greenwood Cemetery is generally bordered by Anderson Street on the north, Mills Street on the west, Gore Avenue on the south and Hampton Avenue on the east. An urban wetlands park sits just outside the gates on Greenwood Street as it leads into the cemetery. Old oak trees shade the grounds and plantings of azaleas, sago palms and other shrubbery beautify the area.

* This "current project" of CFGS.

Cemetery List

Below is a list of the cemeteries that were included in the 1980s tombstone survey. By clicking on a cemetery, you can view the details for that cemetery. Many of these details have been changed due to the explosive growth of the Orlando area since Disney World opened in 1971. This includes roadways, cemetery entrances and other details that are likely different than they were when the survey was originally done. Updated information and photos will be added to the original cemetery details from 1983 where possible. These notes may include changed cemetery names, ownership, landmarks, etc. In rare cases, and only where a cemetery was no longer in use in 1983, additional burials may be added. Where practical, a link to a Google Map will also be provided.

Note that the information is the best available to us and is actively being updated. Some of the statistics, specifically number of graves, unnamed graves and oldest date on a tombstone is our best estimate.

Many of these cemeteries are still active and many graves may have been added since our original survey in the 1980s.

Cemetery Survey Introduction

Tombstone Database

Cemetery List

All Saints Episcopal* Apopka, Edgewood & Greenwood* Bay Ridge*
Beulah Baptist* Boggy Creek Road* Cathedral Church of St Luke*
Chapel Hill Christ the King Episcopal* Church of the Good Shepherd*
Conquest (MacDonald) Cemetery* Conway* Dr. Phillips*
Drawdy-Rouse* Eatonville* Edgewood*
Emmanuel Episcopal* Evergreen* Fort Christmas*
Garden of Eternal Rest* Garden of Life* Glen Haven Memorial Park
Gotha* Greenwood1 Hampden Dubose*
 Holy Family Episcopal* Holy Spirit Episcopal* Lake Hill*
Lake Howell* Magnolia Homes* Maitland*
McDonald* Mizell Family* Oak Ridge*
Oakland (Black)* Oakland (White)* Ocoee*
Ohev Shalom* Orange Hill* Palm3
Partin / Small Maitland*  Pauper's/Garden of Rest2 Pineywood*
Powell* Quarters* St Mary. of the Angels*
St. Michaels's Episcopal* St. Patrick's Catholic* Taft Colored*
Tangerine (Black)* Tangerine-Evergreen (White)* Vineland*
Washington Park* West Orange / Orlando Memorial Gardens* Williamson Family*
Winter Garden (Black)* Winter Garden (White)* Zellwood-Tangerine (Black)*
Zellwood-Tangerine-Evergreen (White)*  Zion Lutheran Church*  

* The tombstone records for these cemeteries have been uploaded into the Tombstone Database as of Aug. 15, 2015
1 Greenwood Cemetery was not included in the unpublished 1980s survey. It has been published in our book series Greenwood Cemetery Vols. 1 & 2.
2 There were no tombstones in this cemetery at the time of the survey.
3 Only surnames beginning with M through Z have been added to the database as of Aug. 15, 2015. THe remainder will be added in the future.  

Ohev Shalom Cemetery

Other Names:
Owner:
Operator:
Property Address:
Directions:
Size:
Coordinates: Latitude:, Longitude: -
Number of Named Graves (in survey): 435
Number of Unnamed Graves (in survey):
Oldest Date of Death on a Tombstone: 1927
Original Information: Take Highway 50 west to Kirkman Road. Turn left. Go to Old Winter Garden Rd. Turn right. It is .3 of a mile on the left, next to Lake Hill Cemetery. (Church Ohev Shalom Cem. 25 22 28 5800 00000 -- 5015 Goddard Ave. 32810; Mount Neboh Cem. Q56 all blocks A-J; Tax Ex.). (Cemetery 36 22 28 0000 00002 -- E 1/4 of NW 1/4 of NE 1/4 less E 18' & that part of E! of -SW 1/4 of SE 1/4 in sec 25-22-28 lying S of Orl.-Winter Garden Rd. Tax Ex.).
2014 Notes:

Quarters Cemetery

Other Names:
Owner:
Operator:
Property Address:
Directions:
Size:
Coordinates: Latitude:, Longitude: -
Number of Named Graves (in survey): 151
Number of Unnamed Graves (in survey):
Oldest Date of Death on a Tombstone: 1904
Original Information: A black cemetery in Apopka at the corner of Lake and 13th Street. Take 441 N. through Apopka to Lake Ave., turn left. Go to 13th Street. Cemetery is on the right.

2014 Notes:

Eatonville Cemetery

Other Names:
Owner:
Operator:
Property Address:
Directions:
Size:
Coordinates:
Latitude:, Longitude: -
Number of Named Graves (in survey): 283
Number of Unnamed Graves (in survey): 
Oldest Date of Death on a Tombstone: 1925
Original Information:
2014 Notes: Take I-4 east to Lee Road. Exit Lee Road, turn right and then make an immediate left on Wymore Road. The cemetery is about two miles on the right. Eatonville Cemetery, established in 1923, has about 350 graves. There are over 70 unreadable funeral markers and many unmarked graves. (Eatonville Comm. Cern. Assn. 35 21 29 0000 0012 -- Eatonville 32751; Beg. 400' S of NW cor. of NE 1/4 run S 466.7' E 466.7 N to POB --less 5 So. ft., Tax Ex.) (Cemetery 35 21 29 9999 9911 -- Eatonville 32751; S 100' of N 400' of W 466' of NE corner, (Tax Ex.).
FindaGrave.com Link

 

Boggy Creek Road Cemetery

Other Names: Lock Family Cemetery, East Lake Cemetery, Mt. Carmel Cemetery
Owner:
Operator:
Property Address:
Directions: Take Orange Avenue South to Taft, through Taft to 4th St. (4 way stop). Turn left. Go one mile to fork in road, veer right on Boggy Creek Rd. Go three miles. Cemetery is on right. 
Size:
Coordinates:
Latitude: , Longitude: -
Number of Named Graves (in survey): 43
Number of Unnamed Graves (in survey): 
Oldest Date of Death on a Tombstone: 1889
Original Information: (Lock Mailyt Cemetery. Alderman-Clay-Lawrence on Boggy Creek Rd. SE of Orlando. Boggy Creek Cemetery filed Aug. 5, 1946, part of lot 7 Verhovey Sub. 0-16. Cemetery -- 1Sec. 7 T24 R30 8868 00072 -- Verhovey Colony 0/16, Tax Ex.)


2014 Notes:  


FindaGrave.com Link

Taft Colored Cemetery

Other Names:
Owner:
Operator:
Property Address:
Directions:
Size:
Coordinates: Latitude:, Longitude: -
Number of Named Graves (in survey): 127
Number of Unnamed Graves (in survey):
Oldest Date of Death on a Tombstone: 1918
Original Information: (35 23 29 7268 12000 c/o Charlie D. Cason, Rt. 1, Box 237, Orlando 32809; Prosper Colony 352329 D/100 to 106 108 109 110 113 & F 16 lot 120 Tax Ex.). Clemville Cemetery (Landstreet Road at Winegard).
2014 Notes:

Web Analytics